About Bob Barta
This page outlines my musical background over the years.
The links lead to pages with details about each time period.
Over the years, I’ve been part of some noteworthy bands & gigs. Some highlights:
- Carnegie Hall : The Clef Club Concert
Performance recorded for NPR broadcast hosted by Wynton Marsalis with William Warfield, Jester Hairston, and the Boys Choir of Harlem
- Carnegie Hall: Symphony performance of “Rhapsody in Blue”
- Delta Queen riverboat – with Vic Tooker’s Riverboat Ramblers
- 11 years as a member of the Howard Hovey Trio
- Over 10 years as banjo player and vocalist with the Isotope Stompers
- Long-running continuous engagements at the Osborne Inn (Riverhead), Le Chef (Southampton) and Bonnie Jean’s (Southold)
- Numerous performances with other groups including: Hot Jam!, The Wolverines Jazz Band of Boston, and Vince Giordano’s Nighthawks
- Performed an original tune, “I’m In Heaven” at Preservation Hall in New Orleans on Louis Armstrong’s birthday in 2010
- Famous venues including New York’s “21” Club & Birdland, San Francisco’s Gold Dust Saloon, and New Orleans’ Palm Court, Rock N’ Bowl, Fritzel’s and the Spotted Cat
- Played for many celebrities & political figures including: George H.W. Bush, Bill & Hillary Clinton, Mario Cuomo, the Kennedy family, U.N. ambassadors
I’ve appeared on several recordings with various groups; my own CD “In One Era and Out The Other” features an all-star lineup playing some great and rare tunes from the golden age of Tin Pan Alley.
~ Bob Barta